Amazon Deals

Friday, March 19, 2010

Traveling to India: Part One

On Wednesday of next week I will travel to Siliguri, India. This is my third time to visit this part of India, so I know how to prepare and what to expect. Well, sort of. Although each trip is similar, there are also many differences.
One of the things that is the same is the arduous nature of the travel itself. Getting to India is just not an easy thing to do! It actually takes two calendar days to get there. We will board the plane in Kansas City about 3 pm and we don't arrive at our final destination until early Friday afternoon. Take a look at the schedule and you'll have a better understanding of all that is involved in the trip over:
- Kansas City to Chicago 3:15 to 4:30pm
- Chicago to Dehli 7:30 pm (Wed) to 10 pm (Thur) (Actual flight time is 15 1/2 hrs but you lose 12 hours because of the time difference.)
- Spend the night in a Dehli hotel and back to the national airport the next morning
- Dehli to Bodogra - 10:30am to 1:30 pm
- Board a bus for a 30-40 minute ride to Siliguri
The good news about all of this is that coming home, you can leave on Saturday from Siliguri and arrive in Kansas City on Sunday about noon. That 12 hour difference works in your favor coning back.
Packing is always a challenge because you can only check one bag now and it can't weigh over 50 pounds. Each time I go, i find I can take fewer clothes which allows me to put more things in to give to the school and the teachers we work with.
In my next post I'll talk about some of the things we do in India and the people we have gotten to know. I plan to do at least two more posts before we leave on Wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. I found answers to some of my questions. I suspect the time spent while in India will be as fully packed as your suitcase, and you will be in your element. Best wishes for before, during and after the trip.

    ReplyDelete