Amazon Deals

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 1: The Strangest Secret

Have you ever struggled as you were trying to learn something new? Kids learn new "stuff" all the time and the adults who are watching them urge them on with phrases like: "Don't give up." Keep going, you don't want to be a quitter." Or, my personal favorite: "Of course its hard. Anything worth learning is gonna be hard." However, adults don't listen to their own advice. We don't learn new "stuff" very often and we certainly don't keep trying it if its hard. As an adult, if it doesn't come easy to us, we just quit. Well, I am trying to learn to do something new. It's often hard...and I have been tempted to quit. For many years I was a school teacher and administrator. I was successful at that job and I enjoyed it. However, I am now retired and I have found a great business opportunity with an amazing product that really helps people. I want to be successful with this new business. However, I have run into a problem. It's that old saying. "We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!" Well, my problem is me. My attitude keeps getting in the way. I keep thinking of all the ways I could fail; of all the things that could go wrong; of all the reasons why other people can be successful but I can't.
Two weeks ago I was at the company's annual convention and the founder and CEO talked about a book that he had found very helpful. The book, written by Earl Nightingale, is titled, The Strangest Secret to Success. I finished the book that same afternoon. I was impressed with what it had to say and I fully "intended" to implement its ideas. But...I didn't follow through to the level that was needed. (Read Saturday's blog on the 30-day challenge for that part of the story.) But now I am following through, and I'm hoping to have lots of others join me in this or at least cheer me on!
The first thing you need to know is what's the secret. This "strange secret to success" is this: We become what we think about. Did you get that? We become what we think. Whether we think we can or we think we can't; we're right.
I thought about some historical examples of this. King David was a wonderful king, singled out by God for that role. But David fixed his thoughts on getting Bathsheba and David became an adulterer and a murderer. On the other hand, Mother Theresa thought about the needs of the poor people of India and she became a saint in the eyes of the world. Now, my thoughts aren't nearly as self-serving as Davids or as selfless as Mother Theresa; but the principle is the same. If I see myself as a success I will be successful and If I question myself and don't believe in me, I'll fail.
So, that is the secret and it is very simple. Now you need to know what the challenge is. It is also simple, but not necessarily easy. The first thing you have to do is to decide what you want to achieve. What is your goal. Get a note card and write down your goal. The key to this is to focus on one goal. What is it you want? You can't focus on more than one thing. You won't succeed in any of them if you have more than one because your energy will be scattered and you will be frustrated. So, ask yourself, what is the one thing you want to succeed at? What is your goal?
My goal is this: I want to reach the level of Ambassador in this company. That is my goal and that is what I have written on my card. Now put this card where you can see it and carry it with you. (You'll probably have to use several cards.) On the back of the card write this quote from the Sermon on the Mount "Ask, and it shall be given you, seek and you shall find, knock, and the door shall be opened unto you."
You are now ready for the challenge to begin.
For the next 30 days you will begin your day by looking at both sides of this card every morning. Every time you think about your goal, think about it in a cheerful, relaxed, positive way. Start each morning looking at your card and thinking about your goal in this way. This will give you a reason to get up and get going in the right frame of mind.
Next: Stop thinking about what it is that you fear. Every time a negative thought comes into your mind replace it with a positive mental image of your goal. For the next 30 days you must take charge of your mind and only allow yourself to think in a positive way about your goal.
Third: For the next 30-days do your very best. Don't allow yourself to slack off. Give more than you have given before.
And, that's it. There are no more steps. That's all there is to the challenge. Simple, right? But not easy! That is why we need each other. Or, at least that is why I need you.
Throughout these next 30 days, I will give you more information from the book that will give you more insight and encouragement; but I will also share my thoughts and experiences as I go through this 30-day challenge. Oh, there is one more thing: There is no time off with this challenge. If you give in to negative thinking, a bad attitude or refusing to give it your best, you have to start over and start counting from Day 1 again. You must stay focused on your goal, on positive attitudes and giving it your best effort for the full 30-days in order to achieve a complete attitude make-over. That doesn't mean you start over when a negative thought comes to mind, or you are tempted to give less than your best. It means that when a negative thought or fear comes to mind, you get rid of it. When you are tempted to only work on half the goals you set for yourself one day, you kick yourself in gear and complete your full list before you stop. It means you stay in charge of what you are thinking and not let old habits and thought patterns take over. But! If you give in to the negative and fearful thinking and let it take charge of your attitude instead of you taking charge over your thoughts, then its back to Day 1.
This blog is intended to help you and me change our way of thinking so that we accomplish what we have set as our goals. Let me know if you are working on this with me! Write down your goal and let's get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment