Amazon Deals

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Day 24: A Small Example of Success

Yesterday's post ended with this quote from the book, "The Strangest Secret to Success:"
"It's like the story of the man who sat in front of the stove and said to it, 'Give me heat and then I'll add the wood'....We've got to put the fuel in before we can expect heat. Likewise, we've got to be of service first before we can expect money. Don't concern yourself with the money. Be of service, build, work, dream, create. Do this and you'll find there is no limit to the prosperity and abundance that will come to you."
This morning I have a personal example of this to share with you. I have been staying at my son's home for the past few days. My daughter-in-law had minor surgery and I've been helping to get the kids off to school and with other stuff around the house. Yesterday morning I decided to make chocolate chip cookies and needed to pick up a couple of things from the grocery store. Of course, nothing is quick in a store you aren't familiar with, so while I was trying to find what I needed, I over heard a store employee talking to another customer about a health issue his son was having. I couldn't find the brand I was use to, and while I stood there trying to decide which brand was the best buy, I continued to listen to the conversation that was taking place just a few feet behind me. After a couple of minutes, the store employee came over and asked if I needed help. After he helped me find what I was looking for, I commented on his conversation, saying I couldn't help but over hear what they had said. He was very nice and we talked briefly about his son and the issue he was concerned about. I found it was a very simple thing for me to ask if I could call him and tell him about something that might help his son. He readily gave me his name and number.
There was no money involved in this conversation. There is no commitment on his part to do anything. However, this small exchange between two people whose paths crossed for a brief few minutes is an example of success. The success lies in the interest expressed in the need in another person's life and the offer to share something that might help him. This is the kind of thing that yesterday's blog was explaining. Did I earn any money yesterday? No. Was I a success yesterday? Absolutely!
(And the cookies were a success, too!)

1 comment: