Amazon Deals

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Day 9: Pushing through the Mud

I promised yesterday, that I would share some of the "fruits" that I am experiencing as a result of this 30 day commitment. I gradually realized over the weekend that I have more strength and determination than before. I mentioned in an earlier blog that I had committed a good deal of time to another project before I committed to achieving my goal. Because of a rapidly approaching deadline for completion of this project, I couldn't work on my goal as I had planned. This type of situation is not unusual for me, but my response to it was different this time. Because I had been focusing on my goal and wasn't allowing negative thoughts to take hold; I was able to dedicate the time needed for my project and set a specific time when I could get back to my goal. Because I was able to stay positive and focused, I was also able to realize that in the future when a project is proposed to me I need to look first at my goal to see whether or not adding this project to my schedule will help or hinder achieving that goal. For me, that was a powerful insight. I enjoy so many different kinds of activities that I tend to take on too much. It keeps life busy and interesting; but it doesn't allow for high levels of success on specific goals because my efforts are too scattered.
This morning I also experienced another one of the "fruits" of learning to control and focus your thoughts. I had a "kick in the stomach" kind of surprise this morning. It was harsh and disappointing. My first reaction to it was to feel deflated and generally "bummed out." In the past my reaction to this kind of thing was to allow my emotions to take control of my actions. If I have things I planned to do, I will just not do them. I will have my own little "pitty party" and rationalize that I am due that and it doesn't matter if I don't do what I've planned.
I started out thinking that way, but found I just couldn't do it. Every time I tried to tell myself to go pick up a book or turn on the TV to watch an old rerun, I just couldn't let myself do it. Instead of my thoughts talking me into those "feel good" things, my thoughts kept saying, "Don't do that." Make the calls you had on your list; you'll feel much better for pushing through those wounded feelings and finishing your list. So that's what I did; I made all the calls and feel good about myself for having pushed through it. That's what was on my mind when I sat down to write today's blog. It reminded me of walking through mud. Each step is hard because the mud takes hold of your foot and wants to suck it in. My old muddy thoughts wanted to hold on to the steps I was taking to pull myself out; but they didn't win. The new thoughts were stronger and that made all the difference.
Wherever you are in your journey to success, stay focused and keep going. It will make a difference. Just wait and see!

1 comment:

  1. Here's to getting the mud off your feet and "walking on high ground!" Glad you're pushing through that old kick.

    ReplyDelete